Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Baking!!!


Aaaah I finally get to sit down at the pc after 2 whole hours of baking cup-cakes.. hmm clever me: I only had one baking tray for 12 cup-cakes and I somehow managed to make a dose for around 30 cup-cakes... So had to keep washing and re-using the same tray :-/ We have a small party at work tomorrow for two colleagues who are leaving so thought I'd make something. Its always so much nicer to make things rather than buy don't you think? Even though I must admit the patissiers in Brussels are full of delicious things to buy so its difficult for Jola to compete. But anyway those of you who know me are familiar with my chocolate orange cake so with that recipe I thought I couldnt go wrong. It's such fun to bake a cake!! I just love the delicious smell it leaves in the flat mmmmm. Il Capo always says mmm bake a cake!! But then he doesnt eat it so I end up eating it myself. So I said NO more cakes, unless it's a special occasion or we have guests!!! Recently I tried out a recipe which my aunt gave me, it's a strange recipe, supposed to be lighter than a normal cake as it has very little sugar and butter and instead it's with yogurt and oil (eqq hemm, did I say light?), well ok lets say healthy shall we?! :-) I thought that sunflower oil was a bit jukky to use in a cake, I somehow associate it with fries, so since my aunt had done it with olive oil I thought I'd try it like that. Anyway so crazy Jola was so enthusiastic to try it out that she didnt realise that the only oil which il Capo buys is extra virgin!!! So as you can imagine, when it was ready it had quite a pungent taste of olives. To make things even more exotic, the recipe had chopped fruit in it, in my case I had put bananas, so the end result was hmmm, to put you in the picture, something like Gre would make.

Later this week I'll have to bake another cake as the church near us is holding a bake sale for charity and I agreed to prepare a cake which they can sell. That's easy at least!!! You should hear what il Capo has to do!!! They asked for volunteers to make chilli and being such a keen chef he offered... but when he received the recipe by e-mail we realised that the amount is so large we either have to cook it a little at a time in our big borma, or buy several big borom, but then we only have 2 big hobs, so maybe we need a new kitchen!!! And the cooking time is around 3 hours!!!!! It's going to be quite a sight, our 2.5metre squared kitchen is going to be converted into a mass-producing chilli factory. Serves us right for being a bunch of "pruzuntuzi" :-)

Here are some pics of the things I've made in the last few months. Sorry to disappoint you but I don't have a pic of the olive oil and banana cake :-)



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey jol - Aaaah, so that's what you've been up to lately :-)

Have just returned from London again - had really nice weekend - now back to reality ... bleeh

work is a nightmare right now - am half downstairs workign on interreg, a quarter trying to catch up on the Protocol and another quarter trying to head a new communications team upstairs without a computer... yeah right...

ah, those cakes look amazing juju... and rachel looks as crazy as usual - glad to know that some things don't change LOL

sending many hugs xxx
g

Jola said...

Hey Gre! Glad to see that someone is reading my blog :-) Thought that nobody was reading it!!

tsotsa said...

YUMMMM!
Those cakes look delicious!! When i get settled into my apartment i will definitely do some more baking!! For now i'm sticking with a ready-made banana muffin mix to which i add mashed bananas to make it more banana-ish! hehehehehe

Anonymous said...

Jola dear...are you trying to compete with your witness??? seems that you've got a long way to go :)